How the BVC Competition Works
At BVC, there are three competition categories – Growth Stage, Impact and Early Stage, with three to five finalists (companies) selected in each category. Applicant companies for all categories can be located anywhere in the United States.
IMPACT COMPETITION: Companies applying to the Impact competition:
- Are for-profit enterprises that can be pre- or post-revenue, but are still early in the evolution of their business.
- Have a social and/or environmental mission integrated into their business model such that it is a core competency and not an “add-on.”
- Companies should be aiming to generate long-term enterprise value and attractive returns on capital.
All applicants, regardless of whether or not they are a finalist, have the opportunity to receive feedback from the investor group. The winner of this category could receive an investment of $50,000*.
Impact Application Process
- 2020 Company Applications will be accepted from Wednesday, July 8 through Thursday, August 13, 2020.
- Applications need to be submitted through GUST here.
- Screening for finalists. Once all applications are received in Gust, BVC investors select three to five Impact companies deemed to have the most feasible and compelling business plans.
- Due diligence of finalists. After the three to five Impact companies are notified of their selection to present, volunteers and investors from the BVC Impact, LLC begin a comprehensive due diligence review that is completed during the six weeks leading up to the conference. Investor leads will host a series of interviews and meetings with each company and report back strengths and weaknesses to the larger investing committee. At the conference, each Impact company has eight minutes to present to the audience, followed by Q&A.
Impact Access Scholarships
To be considered for these limited scholarships, at least one company founder needs to identify as Female or BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, People of Color) and have meaningful equity ownership of the company, while also seeing the application fee as a legitimate barrier to the company’s ability to participate in the conference.
To take advantage of these scholarships, companies need to complete their GUST profile and the ‘Optional Additional Questions’ located at the end of the application process. Due to limitations in the GUST platform, the application fee will still need to be paid but will be quickly refunded after scholarship approval.
Companies who have qualification questions, please contact [email protected].
Impact Competition Timeline
July 8, 2020
Applications open to present at BVC
August 13, 2020
Last day for applying companies to submit their application
September 15 & 22, 2020
Weekly Due Diligence meetings occur with the BVC Impact, LLC investors
October 1, 2020
Three to five finalist Impact companies are announced
October 15 – 16, 2020
BVC rehearsal, seminars, reception, and competition. The BVC will be held at the Tower Theatre in downtown Bend.